Wednesday 10 October 2012

Kelly and Niki first video

This is a video that myself and Niki filmed in the quad called snatched. We started by planning it out into 8 shots on a whiteboard, by showing the position of the characters, the camera angle and also which shot would be used. We did a range of filming from filming it ourselves, to having the camera on the tripod and finally by miss taking certain shots for us where techniques like tracking were used.
I naively thought it would be quite easy to film basic shots in the quad, but I quickly learnt that not everything goes to plan! Firstly, Niki fell over which made me aware we needed to be careful where we chose to film our shots to make it safe. On a more technical basis, I discovered that it did not matter if there was additional sound in our recordings as we could quite easily edit this out in a programme which i was introduced to called Final Cut.

On Final Cut I learnt how to put all my shots in a 'bin' so I could select and play them and then cut the shots down with 'I' and 'O' so I could chose certain parts to use. I then learnt how to put them together to make one video, as well as learning how to import music in and render it so it will play with my video. Then I learnt how to mute sound that was created when I was recording so my chosen music was the only audio. Having said that, I kept the noise of the footsteps in the first scene on top of the music to create effect. Finally I was shown how to add in slide transitions to make it more smooth, and how to add in text for our title and closing credits.

Here is our video; Snatched

If I were to do this again i would work more closely with timing to ensure it looks right and runs smoothly, also to ensure the camera is stable to reduce poor quality of filming. Also there was a point where one shot sharply jumped into the next which we had to cover up with a slide transition. Although it was not the best transition to do it covered up the error which we will be sure to avoid next time. I will also try and use a space where people are not walking past, just a trivial thing but it will make a difference in my final work. Also we will both need to work on timing as this was an issue at the beginning leading to us having to do various takes of the same shot which was quite time consuming.
This was a process I really enjoyed and was very pleased with the finishing result.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment