Monday 8 October 2012

Positive representation of women

This morning I was delighted when I read the Sunday Mirror as I saw an article about Singing phenomenon Adele as she spoke about her plus size figure. Admittedly it was a bit ironic that the article was on page 3 beside a raunchy picture of Coronation Street's Samia Smith but a positive article was written never the less. In the interview, Adele says she feels her curves helped her success and said she wouldn't 'get my tits and ass out for no one'. I feel a great deal of her success has come from her not in fact being a stereotypical skinny, blonde celebrity but instead a beautiful young woman who embraces her curves. She said, and I quote: 'I don't want to be some skinny Minny with my tits out'. Adele goes on to say she has never had a problem with her fuller figure. She also said 'no matter what you look like, I think the key is to be happy with yourself''. This is the sort of message that should be given out to teenage girls to prevent eating disorders and depression because of the ridiculous amounts of pressure to be size zero. I think it is great Adele is happy to share her story with others and encourage girls that curves are beautiful, and being pregnant, it proves you don't have to look a certain way to get a males attention and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment